Re: replacing a function with another one

From: lee
Subject: Re: replacing a function with another one
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:41:52 +0100

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> I can´t get advice-add to work.  The documentation doesn´t explain it,
>
> That's not true.  Technically you find everything you need to know in
> the documentation.

"Food is edible.  Technically, that´s all you need to know."

That doesn´t explain anything about food.  It´s like saying "1 is (1 + 1
is 2)", which doesn´t explain anything, either.

> The problem is that it does say nothing at all about usage in
> practice, no examples, etc.  It's absolutely not sufficient for
> beginners.  That's indeed a problem - there is already a bug report
> about it, btw.

Maybe the problem is that add-advice is too complicated and convoluted.
I learned about defadvice in like no time, it´s clear and simple ---
while advice-add is anything but.

> If you feel better with the "old" advice.el, just use this.  It will
> probably be still supported in many years, just because many third party
> packages use it.

And ppl might continue to use defadvice because it´s clear and simple.
I don´t feel better with it, though.  It has been replaced, and the
replacement seems to lead to better code, so I´d rather use that.

But thinking of it ...  When I´m using advices, they go for all the
advised functions.  Someone might want to use hi-lock mode the same way
they used to and only want the modified behaviour with particular
buffers.

Considering all that, wouldn´t it be much better to create my own mode?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.