Re: indexing files?

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: indexing files?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:40:33 +0530

Martin <kleinerdrache@gmx.at> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> since a few weeks I'm using mu4e and I find the search thing very
> useful.
>
> I wonder if there would also be something like mu4e not for emails but
> for files in my Home directory?  If you can give me hints, I would be
> very excited. :)

Emacs has a search engine and it is called rgrep and it doesn't rely on
indices.  If you really want index - in that you have a custom markup
that explicityl specifies what an index is - you can go with etags or
ctags.

    (info "(mairix-el) Top")

Mairix comes to mind.  The descriptions specifically talk about Emails.
Aren't the Emails files as well?  I don't know.

| mairix.el--Mairix interface for Emacs
| *************************************
|
| Mairix is a tool for indexing and searching words in locally stored
| mail.  It was written by Richard Curnow and is licensed under the GPL.
|
|    `mairix.el' is an interface to the mairix search engine.  It allows
| you to call mairix with a search term, easily create searches based on
| the currently displayed mail, save regularly used searches in your
| `.emacs' for future use and lets you call mairix for updating the
| database.

There is also notes-mode in ELPA (which I have looked at).  It has
slightly different notion of what a Index is and it relies on perl-mode.

If you are just looking for free form index just a plain rgrep should
suffice, I think.  Or you take in to a slightly higher level and
"consider" an Org headline as specifying an Index.

You need to really tell us what you mean by an Index :-)