Re: Some problems of Emacs on my OS X 10.8.5

From: Jai Dayal
Subject: Re: Some problems of Emacs on my OS X 10.8.5
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 14:28:34 -0500

So the problem with OSX is that the .profile script is not executed when
you login. This is different from GNU Linux distributions which execute
.bashrc when you log in. .profile is only executed when you run a shell. If
you launch emacs from outside the shell, i.e., clicking an icon on your
desktop or via the dock (which I do), .profile isn't loaded.

the environment plist file is what OSX uses to setup it's environment when
you "log in":

~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

Jai