Re: code listp to determine wich os I'm running on

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: code listp to determine wich os I'm running on
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 00:52:24 +0100

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> There are those variables, and probably other
> too. ...

One should remember that such variables are data, and
even impressive looking functions can be mere
lookups. There is no probing to it.

If you strike 'lscpu' in (parts of) the Linux world, it
is perhaps easy to forget that it is basically a
parsing of /proc/cpuinfo - somehow, 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'
doesn't have the same authority to it!

But yes, those can be used to have one (the same)
configuration file on several machines. I have the same
.zshrc on my Debian machine as on my school's
Solaris/SunOS, I just use uname at the end to drop a
couple of things that is only present at my home
system.

Some experimentation on this:

(system-name) ; half of 'uname -n' (--nodename)
system-name   ; same

system-configuration ; "i486-pc-linux-gnu"
;; "Value is string indicating configuration Emacs was
;; built for."
;; 'uname -m' (--machine) tells me i686 which is 32-bit Linux
;; 'uname -o' (--operating-system) says "GNU/Linux"

(window-system)     ; nil
window-system       ; nil
(display-graphic-p) ; nil; help says this is better

emacs-major-version   ; 24
emacs-minor-version   ; 3
emacs-version         ; 24.3.1
(emacs-version t)     ; GNU Emacs 24.3.1
                      ; (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
                      ; Version 3.8.4) of 2013-10-01 on
                      ; biber, modified by Debian
                      ; help says system-configuration is better

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573