Re: In defense of Customize [was: Trying to right-align my window on sta

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: In defense of Customize [was: Trying to right-align my window on startup]
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 13:26:02 -0500

> I used to but expensive laptops, but CPUs have got fast enough, now,

I don't care about CPU speed (my Desktops have netbook-class CPUs), only
about noise, keyboard (and pointing device) and screen's DPI.

>> I prefer using DVCS to sync up my files.  Started doing that when CVS
>> acquired its "remote access" functionality.
> I tried that, but I dislike the explicit commit

For sync purpose, I have a script which does "commit+merge".
It's really the same as unison, except I have a history of changes, and
better conflict resolution.  Commits don't have any logical meaning, nor
"commit log" message in that case.

> I actually [sync?] many of my DVCS working repos between machines;

For things where I use DVCS for non-sync purpose, I typically use
a separate "work-mess" branch which I sync via "commit+merge" as above
without caring about commit messages or commit granularity.  And when
the work is ready, I move it manually onto a real branch where I "commit
properly".

        Stefan