Re: Caps Lock affects Ctrl+keys

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Caps Lock affects Ctrl+keys
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:38:00 +0100

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> Nice. I had to
> s/last-command-char/last-command-event/ in
> github:emacsmirror/caps-mode version, but otherwise
> it works and preserves control combinations. It even
> works with Cyrillic letters, thanks to the use of
> [remap self-insert-command] and (upcase
> last-command-event).

That's interesting. I wonder if the programmers thought
of that of if it is a consequence of good design on
multiple parts.

> This is a bit clumsy because I have to have different
> keys to turn on caps in Emacs and in the rest of my
> environment, but will do for a while.

That's always the drawback when you solve things that
you wish system-wide on the application level.

But that's where Emacs is somewhat a special case,
because you can do so many things with Emacs, so
setting things up in Emacs (not trivial but perhaps not
the most difficult thing in the world) can pay off big
if one's Emacs use propagates to still new fields of
activity.

When I setup caps-mode.el, I thought it wouldn't matter
otherwhere because I only type otherwise in zsh, and
there I wouldn't need uppercased words. But that proved
to be incorrect:

* The computer world is filled with acronyms: gui, cpu,
  smtp, dram, mud, mmorpg, irc, ... though I could get
  used to it, they don't look the same.

* Also, while I prefer readme.txt, some old-schoolers
  say that files intended for humans should look like
  README instead.

* And, not the least, the env vars - HOME, PATH, etc.

So I wonder if something like caps-mode.el can be found
and setup on the terminal/multiplexer/shell level. I
have already rerouted the caps key to produce a goofy
Unicode char, which Emacs fetches and evaluates to
activating the caps mode, and when I hit that key in
tty/tmux/zsh, that char appears (or actually a diamond,
as it is U+0111, which apparently is stretching it for
the poor driver, or perhaps it isn't even printable) -
but anyway it appears, so what's saying I can't do the
same dance once again? To do it there (the shell, or on
top of whatever) would be feasible, but to do it like
20 times if you use that many applications and cannot
solve it at a lower level, then you have to use the
caps key a whole lot to make it worth it :)

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573