vc-annotate file name column

From: Michael Bach
Subject: vc-annotate file name column
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:37:16 +0100

Dear Emacs Users and Developers,

I am trying to customize the look of `vc-annotate' used with git.  I
would like to be able to just omit the file path column from the
`vc-annotate-mode' buffer because IMHO that's redundant information.  I
am well aware that there is the `v' key to toggle the display of the
information columns, but that messes up line alignment between source
and annotated buffer on my small laptop screen. Dunno.

Now I had a look and found that `vc-annotate' for git calls
`vc-git-annotate-command' which in turn calls `git blame'.  If this
would call e.g. `git annotate' instead, at least the file name would be
gone.

Has someone thought of making this more customizable?  Did you solve it
another way?  Any advice for workarounds are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Michael

P.S.: I switched to magit-blame for the time being but find it too
intrusive on files with frequent commits, so would prefer the vc-annotate.