Re: In defense of Customize [was: Trying to right-align my window on s

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: In defense of Customize [was: Trying to right-align my window on startup]
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:59:45 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:07:34 PM UTC+5:30, Drew Adams wrote:

> Emacs does not by default store your bookmarks, or your elpa info,
> or your thumbnail files, or your eshell info, or or any other
> generated Lisp code in your init file.  Why does it still store
> Customize-generated code in your init file by default?  Ask Emacs Dev.
> To me, this is unwise design.

> But it is certainly not Customize's fault.  If Emacs Dev decided to
> store your bookmarks in your init file, you would get the same kind
> of mess that you can get from Emacs mixing Customize code in with
> your hand-coded init-file stuff.  It should be a no-brainer to
> separate generated or automatically maintained code from user,
> hand-written code.  (But whaddo I know?)

I did not know what to make of the above -- so did not comment

However my recent struggles to just set a variable in emacs (nothing
to do directly with customize) suggests that some basic emacs
infrastructure is really clunky

See the thread
Impossible to set org mode variable

In summary:
There is a variable v which shows value x as defined in file f
Look in the file f and it has value y

[Of course I am the first to admit that arcana about loaddefs, lexical vs
dynamic and what not are above my head]