Re: Trying to right-align my window on startup

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Trying to right-align my window on startup
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 19:19:18 +0100

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

>> If a first year student of mine cannot distinguish
>> data and code (s)he'd get an F grade. customize does
>> that.
>
> How lucky that John McCarthy was not your student...
>
> No offence, just could not resist a (maybe lame)
> joke.  I agree that the distinction may be important.
> My logic professor used to say: "What does it mean
> that a mathematician *identifies* two things?  It
> means, first of all, that he *distinguishes* them."
> Maybe it's similar here.

I don't think it is so much a matter of principle or
even attitude. It is just what happens. I have not seen
that particular example first hand but it makes sense -
though I'm perhaps surprised at the impact of Emacs on
today's students :) Serious, put it this way: if one
wants to be a programmer, easy: *act* like a
programmer, and then just add *volume* (time). Lot's of
guys underestimate this. Mounting an USB-mp3-player,
using avconv to extract the sound from a YouTube video
(which you downloaded with youtube-dl), then splitting
the file with mp3splt, copying the files, and
unmounting the device - they don't want to do that,
because it is "trivial", "too easy", they don't have
the "time", so why don't use their iPods instead?
Right? *Wrong*!

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573