process list on AIX

From: Perry Smith
Subject: process list on AIX
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 12:03:54 -0600

I have el-get.  When I do an update all from el-get, it will often not
finished.  In those cases, I will have some processes in the emacs process list
which are git processes that are no longer present in the system but emacs
thinks they are.  (I believe they have finished up, without errors but emacs
did not notice that they had died.  The process shows up as <defunct> (or
zombie) -- so it really has died but emacs has not reaped it yet.

I'm looking mostly for debugging help but I'm wondering (best guess), if this
would be a bug in el-get in how it uses the emacs primitives or a bug in the
emacs primitives themselves?  Part of what I'm wondering is if there is some
way to nudge emacs into noticing that these processes are gone.

I've never seen a process in emacs' process list that was actually dead except
when using el-get's update all facility.

emacs is 24.3.  AIX is 6.1 TL08.  el-get is the latest on github.

Thank you for your help,
Perry Smith