Re: obarray

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: obarray
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 12:32:37 -0500

In article <87lhzkp4cx.fsf@nl106-137-194.student.uu.se>,
 Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
> > They used a quite exotic name for the symbol so such
> > a collision is unlikely, but strictly speaking, the
> > implementation of dolist is not correct.
>
> I agree, might as well do it fool-proof. If things can
> go wrong, sometime they will.

It's a tradeoff. If you use uninterned symbols, debugging the macro is
harder because you can't easily get the value of the temporaries.

The name they chose is so unlikely that a collision will only happen if
someone is doing it deliberately. We don't worry about such internally
malicious code.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA