RE: .emacs poser

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: .emacs poser
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:17:10 -0800 (PST)

> > In my emacs I have these global-set-key forms:
>
> IMO you’re doing it wrong, by solving the general problem of entering
> special character for a specific case of Emacs.

There is no wrong or right way here.  Does your keyboard have a key
that inserts the character `2' (yes)?  Is dedicating that key
sequence to inserting that one character wasteful or "doing it wrong"?

Binding a command that inserts a commonly used character to a key
can be quite handy, regardless of whether there is also a general
way to insert any character.  You *could* insert character `2'
using `C-x 8 RET digit two' each time, but why bother?

Think of binding such keys as one way to extend your keyboard, or
even to change it from one language to another, or...