Re: [Gnus] Fetch extra categories?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [Gnus] Fetch extra categories?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 22:41:34 +0100

ernobe <ernobe@yahoo.com> writes:

> Once again, I posted to gnu.emacs.gnus and my post
> failed to show up there.

That's strange!

> Anyways, Emacs 23 can be setup so that Gnus reads and
> sends news to/from a spool directory with an external
> program ( in my case slrnpull ).  But it can also
> handle mail and rss as if they were newsgroups.  I
> found that putting this in my init file prevented it
> from doing the receiving of those automatically at
> start-up:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>    '((nnml "")
>      (nnrss "")))
>
> But, it still asks me every time on startup if I want
> to fetch extra categories.  Is there a way for it not
> to ask me this?  (I don't even know what categories
> this is referring to).

Well, it seems a bit backward because I use

gnus-secondary-select-methods

to *add* stuff, not to remove it. I have no clue as how
to solve it, anymore than how I do it. This is how I
manage mails, mailing lists, and Usenet:

;; I'm on the w3m mailing list. Based on the subject,
;; the below code will filter ordinary mails from those
;; from the w3m list.

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("mail.w3m" "^Subject:.*emacs-w3m.*")
        ("mail.misc" "") ))

;; The below is about *sending* - it sets the signature
;; (same for everything), but when answering a *mail*,
;; it adds the Newsgroup: header if I were to change my
;; mind and make it a Usenet post instead (or "as
;; well"), *or* as is a much more common case, if I
;; send a Usenet post and when I write it I think,
;; "Man, this would be right up X's alley", but he is
;; not on Usenet, so then I need inserted a To: header
;; to make it a mail as well.
;;
;; While we are on this subject - perhaps that is a bad
;; idea in terms of spamming? Should I program it to,
;; when I send to Usenet, *first* send is as a mail,
;; remove the To: header, and then send it to Usenet
;; (i.e., without the header)?  But I did this a lot
;; and no one ever complained.

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      (let ((sig "Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at
uXu\nunderground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573";))
        `(("nnml:.*"
           (Newsgroups "")
           (signature ,sig)
           )
          (message-this-is-news
           (To "")
           (Mail-Copies-To "never")
           (signature ,sig) ))))

;;; more send mail

(require 'smtpmail)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.uu.se")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "student.uu.se")
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq user-full-name "Emanuel Berg")

;;; no we get to *read* mails...

(let ((username "embe8573"))
  (setq user-mail-address
        (format "%s@%s" username smtpmail-local-domain) )
  (setq mail-sources `((pop :pop      "pop.uu.se"
                            :user     ,username
                            :password ,*mail-password*) )))
(require 'nnmbox)
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml ""))
      mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent
      read-mail-command 'gnus)

;; this is to *save* sent mail/posts (as a Gnus group)

(setq gnus-message-archive-group '("archived-news-and-mail") )

;; OK, done with mails: Usenet

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "Aioe.org"))

;; check out all my configuration for Gnus and the
;; Emacs message mode here:
;; http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs.html