Re: [Gnus] persistent marks

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [Gnus] persistent marks
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 20:36:41 +0100

ernobe <ernobe@yahoo.com> writes:

> Of course if I knew how to do that I'd probably be
> able to change the default keys instead.  The problem
> with knowing (at least for an independent investigator
> like myself) is that there's the Emacs Lisp language
> on the one hand, and the Gnus Manual on the other.
> But have you tried reading the manual with 'C-h i'?  I
> don't see how to navigate it without getting lost.  If
> I only follow the 'Up' 'Next' 'Previous' links at the
> top of the page, I can get back to my original
> starting point, but if I follow links within the page,
> I can't hit a back' link to get back to my original
> starting point.  So I downloaded the documentation and
> turned it into a single .info file, then used 'pinfo'
> to read it.  Why there isn't a sane way to read it
> within Emacs, I don't know.

Well, I happen not to like reading documentation the
"info" way either (or in general, on the screen), but it
is "sane" in its own way once you learn your way around.

My piece of advice: instead, go to the Gnus home page,
get the manual in PDF format and *print* it. Then read
it both as "evening reading" *and* as a reference to
lookup things.

I should say, though, that Gnus isn't the most easiest
thing to configure/extend. Emacs (in general) is easier
in my experience. So it takes some time. But, it is
worth it, so you just need to keep it up. Learn one new
thing every day. In a year, that will make for 365 new
things :)

Also, don't forget about gnu.emacs.help and
gnu.emacs.gnus.

> I haven't looked at the Emacs Lisp documentation yet
> but suspect it is also not meant to help the
> independent researcher.  Like college textbooks, these
> manuals are meant to be read by people who are under
> adult supervision in their researching.

Yes, it is the same there. I takes time. Good things
happen to people who work hard.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573