Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Eric Brown
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 09:47:10 -0500

Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs is old school.  Very old school with the ability to drive real
> tty's over 300 baud modems with spectacular efficiency.  Its on X11,
> windows, and Mac.

(For the purpose of the OP, no surprise to grizzled Emacs users)

I run into "300 baud modem" situations all the time.  Often I work in
cafes, where the wireless can be spectacularly bad.

Usually I run Emacs in X over ssh, but when the latency is high, I fire
it up in text mode.  The cursor may jump a little bit, but it is usable.

I run on Mac, Windows, Linuxes, and OpenBSD--pretty much the same
configuration files.

For me, Emacs is simply the best in perfect situations of fast network
and fast computer.  It leaves the others in the dirt when it comes to
imperfect situations -- slow network, slow computer, and heterogeneous
environments.