Re: help! Keep getting emacs locked up / not responding to c-g / having

From: unfrostedpoptart
Subject: Re: help! Keep getting emacs locked up / not responding to c-g / having to kill process
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:31:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:44:22 AM UTC-7, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> Anyway, in Unices you can force Emacs into the debugger, even if not
> responsive, by sending SIGUSR2:
>
>   pkill -SIGUSR2 emacs
>
> Using the debugger, you hopefully should be able to see where Emacs loops.

I'm hitting this right now.  In this case, it was triggered by opening a PDF
file.  It started rendering but apparently hung up somewhere.

Running pkill -SIGUSR2 did eventually appear to get control back and displayed
the backtrace buffer but when I'd try and do anything, it would lock up again.
After several pkills, I was able to get a buffer list and kill the PDF buffer.

I'm not really up on using backtrace, but FYI, here's what it says:

Debugger entered--entering a function:
* linum-update-current()
  recursive-edit()
  debug(error (quit))
  redisplay_internal\ \(C\ function\)()

Not sure if there's anything I can do now to help trace it but if there is,
please let me know.

 David