Re: beginner questions

From: JohnF
Subject: Re: beginner questions
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 08:39:45 +0000 (UTC)

Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
> JohnF <john@please.see.sig.for.email.com> writes:
>
>> Yeah, I peeked at your informatimago.com homepage, and saw all
>> your gpl'ed emacs tools. The asm7090 seemed especially unusual.
>> I started with keypunches (and that's 026's), and ran stuff
>> on the 7040 in CCNY's EE dept a long (long,...) time ago.
>> But the creation date on your pjb-asm7090.el is 2005-06-04.
>> Somebody still emulating that somewhere?
>
> Indeed.
Thanks, Pascal, that's remarkable...
> The sources of LISP 1.5 written in 7090 assembler are
> available, and there's an emulator, so as a week end project when time
> permits, (unfortunately not since a few years, given the amount of
> competiting interests :-/), we may have fun with it.
>    http://www.mcjones.org/dustydecks/archives/2012/08/29/590/
>    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?LispOnePointFive
>    http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/LISP/
> You may perform further searches with:
> http://www.masswerk.at/google60/
> ;-)
>
> But on the other hand, Common Lisp let you run LISP 1.5 programs almost
> unchanged, with minimal supporting code:
>    http://informatimago.com/develop/lisp/com/informatimago/
>    small-cl-pgms/wang.html
> For more nostalgia,
..."Nostalgia isn't what it used to be." -- Peter De Vries
> you may try pjb-computer-paper.el:
> M-x set-foreground-color RET black RET M-x computer-paper RET
>    C-u M-x computer-paper RET will ask for the modulo (number of colors)
> and block (group of lines) with which to set the background lines.

Two more questions, please. First (as also mentioned in post
further down this thread), when I earlier said that fundamental-mode
stops parentheses matching, I'd only actually checked <stuff>.
Unfortunately, it still matches (stuff), [stuff], {stuff}.
Any way to turn that all off?
   Secondly, I figured I could easily get that fundamental-mode, as
well as other initializations, into .emacs by myself with a little
googling. But I tried all of (separately and together)
   ; -*- mode: Fundamental;-*-
   (setq-default major-mode 'fundamental-mode)
   (setq major-mode 'fundamental-mode)
   (fundamental-mode)
and nothing works. Still comes up in its own default mode.
And just to be sure, I put some gobbledy-gook into .emacs
and ran it with --debug-init, and it brought up a screen
with the expected "Error: you're a moron" message
(I'm already plenty familiar with that message:).
So it's indeed reading the file. I must be writing it wrong.
What's the right way? Thanks again,
--
John Forkosh  ( mailto:  j@f.com  where j=john and f=forkosh )