Re: What are advantages and disadvantages of RMAIL and mh-rmail ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: What are advantages and disadvantages of RMAIL and mh-rmail ?
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 21:01:47 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Rmail until emacs 23 used the babyl file format, and
> Gnus has a backend for that (nnbabyl).  Later versions
> of Rmail use the standard mbox format, and of course
> Gnus can also use that (nnmbox).

Thanks, but I didn't get it to work.

I use:

GNU Emacs 23.4.1

file (the shell tool) tells me that the RMAIL file is an

HTML document, ASCII text, with very long lines

I appended an nnmbox element to the Gnus secondary
selection list but something is missing as I get news,
and mail (with nnml), but nothing more (and no error
message), as always.

I didn't know what to make of the -active file, so I
just created an empty such file with touch.

Note that I don't want to use nnmbox for new incommings,
I'm happy with nnml, I just want a Gnus group populated
with the messages now in my RMAIL file, and then use
that group as an archive. (But it can be a separate
group. It doesn't have to be merged with the nnml inbox,
mail.misc, although that would be optimal.)

(require 'nnmbox)
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
 '((nnml   "")
   (nnmbox ""
     (nnmbox-mbox-file   "~/rmail_gnus/rmail_mb")
     (nnmbox-active-file "~/rmail_gnus/.rmail_mb-active")
     (nnmbox-get-new-mail t) ))
   mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent
   read-mail-command 'gnus)

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573