Re: Encoding Outgoing Messages

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Encoding Outgoing Messages
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:54:16 +0200

Am 12.09.2013 um 08:47 schrieb Richard Parsons:

> I've not transcribed the message exactly because actually the "y" has an
> umlaut over it.

My comment is not helpful … "Umlaut" is a German word and names the set of
exactly these characters: Ä, Ö, Ü, ä, ö, and ü. The two dots on a vowel or
consonant are called a "DIAERESIS". The two dots are also called "TREMA".

> I'm having a problem properly encoding outgoing email when I forward a
> message originally sent to me by work colleagues who use Microsoft
> Outlook.

You should be able to find out in which encoding this message was sent to you.
This encoding should be displayed as a particular character at the left edge of
the mode-line. Picking that character with the mouse cursor should open a
*Help* buffer and explain its meaning. (More relations of displayed character
and encoding system used are listed with M-x list-coding-systems.) If the
buffer with the received message shows the wrong character and text encoding
and you know the proper one, then you can invoke
revert-buffer-with-coding-system and pass the proper argument to the function.
This function also available from menu: Options -> Multilingual Environment ->
Set Coding Systems -> For Reverting This File Now (C-x RET r).

--
Greetings

  Pete

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our
air and water that are doing it.