Re: What's an even easier explanation how to setup gnus ...

From: Glen Stark
Subject: Re: What's an even easier explanation how to setup gnus ...
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:49:02 GMT

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 17:41:51 +0200, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:

>>> ,------------------------------------------------------------------- |
>>> Buy some Apple product, e.g. an iPad, and never ever touch Emacs nor
>>> Gnus.
>>> `-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Please do not promote proprietary software on gnu.* newsgroups.
>
> I did not mean to promote proprietary software, I just reported some
> empirical evidence from real life: I witnessed first hand how this
> famous fancy proprietary hardware/software product was adapted by a
> group of 70+ year old people that never had anything to do with
> computers, and how it spread joy and excitement among them, how they
> told all their friends and family members who all bought it too, and how
> quick this flat fancy tablet made them part of the modern world of
> communication and information. Thats REAL usability, proprietary or not.

I feel compelled to point out that your original post did not report any
evidence for anything, it gave facetious advice.

Your advice was to recommend the use of non-free software to people over
free-software.  This is the very definition of promoting proprietary
software.  While you are free to do this, it's pretty rude to do so on a
gnu.* newsgroup, as Stefan pointed out.

In your justification for your post you related an anecdote, which might
qualify as anecdotal evidence, but certainly doesn't qualify as empirical
evidence.  None of which is at all relevant to either the question posed
in the original post, nor to the purpose of the gnu.* newsgroups which is
(indirectly) to make the modern world a little more free, not bring more
people into an unfree world.

--
Glen Stark,
Human Being