Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 22:51:55 -0400

> OK, that key DOES NOT work in emacs here.  If I press Alt-x (as is how
> it works under linux), then emacs responds with 'A-x is not defined'

IIUC you got this message with Emacs running in GUI mode (not within an
xterm).  Many/most systems don't have a Meta key, so Emacs by default
looks for a Meta key and if it can't find one, it falls back on using
the Alt key as a Meta key.  So the above message indicates that Emacs
did find a Meta key, which is why it treats the Alt key as an actual Alt
key rather than as a Meta key.

So, take a look at the output of "xmodmap".  It probably includes
entries both for Meta and for Alt keys.  Either remap your Alt keys to
be Meta keys, or remap your Meta keys to something else (so that Emacs
will use the Alt keys for its Meta modifier).

        Stefan