Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"

From: drain
Subject: Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 14:23:46 -0700 (PDT)

> But from my experience with LaTeX, you can get just about
> any result that you can find in a book shop or public library, at
> the very least. So there isn't any "I don't even like the output"
> - you can get whatever you like.

I make my case based on its powerful minimalism. As soon as the general
population see any code, they run away scared.

However, it is still possible to boil the frog by gradually raising the
heat: now that I've gotten these people addicted to this text editing
environment, perhaps I can get them to start writing more code. Generally
the beginning involves a lot of hand-holding and blind copy / paste of
Elisp code blocks into the .emacs. It does take up a lot of my time, but in
the end, a dutiful member of the church is dedicated to proselytization.

LaTex may have infinite output possibilities, but doesn't it still require
writing a lot of code in the actual buffer? What's nice about org-mode is
that the printed output is the same as the printed input.