Re: How to communicate with a running external process with given PID?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How to communicate with a running external process with given PID?
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 20:14:53 +0200

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If you just want to read and write stuff, HTTP is probably overkill
>> too. Use plain sockets.
>
> While I figured out that in my case using HTTP would be just fine, I
> would still be interested in the answer to my (a tad naive) original
> question: how would you establish (in an Emacs Lisp program) plain
> socket communication between Emacs and an already running external
> process (of a Lisp dialect that is not Emacs Lisp) with given PID?

Well, theorically, and subject to access rights, you could attach to a
different process (like gdb) and patch its program to add support for
communication.

But since you've not said that your emacs was running as root, or that
the other process runs as the same UID as your emacs, this won't be
possible.

Again, the problem is not how to do things with emacs, it is what the
other process lets you do to it!

You know you've been lisping too long when you see a recent picture of George
Lucas and think "Wait, I thought John McCarthy was dead!" -- Dalek_Baldwin