Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:49:04 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Expecting that to somehow miraculously materialize out of thin
> air is not very wise.

Are you sure that isn't, on the contrary, natural? I'm using a
piece of software in one system, software that I installed "from
the shelf". Isn't it natural to think that if I do the same on
another system - because the software is on both - that I should
get more or less the same UX? Well, I didn't. But I trust your
experience and knowledge to be true as well, and there is no
contradiction.

> Assigning the blame to Emacs is misdirected.

I know I didn't do that because I don't deal with blame (or
guilt).

> It _is_ the same.

In isolation perhaps. But it wasn't the same when I had Emacs on
my old, dual-boot laptop, one on Windows, one on Linux, the most
recent versions I could find. (Speaking of that: I remember the
installation process was a pain in Windows, too. Compare that to
sweet aptitude...)

> See above.  My .emacs works on Windows and GNU/Linux alike, has
> done that for the last 10 years if not more.

Yes, you obviously had a different experience altogether, and that
happens all the time. But how can my experience be true *at all*,
if it is the same, working seamlessly like a sandboxed applet? It
didn't. Perhaps it is better, now.

But come to think of it, even moving between Linux distros - not
with Emacs, but in general - can be a pain. So why is it
surprising that it takes an effort to move from Debian to Windows?

> Life is strange, you might yet find yourself some day in the
> need to do it again.  Maybe you should save this message for
> then.

Life *is* strange, and I remember everything people say to me, but
unless I'm on a sinking ship, I'm *never* using *anything* but my
Debian :)

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573