"Void function setf" in emacs 24.1

From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer
Subject: "Void function setf" in emacs 24.1
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:17:28 +0200

Hello!

I wanted to demonstrate some emacs lisp today to a colleague (Ubuntu, emacs
24.1). However when I wrote "(setf x (1+ x))" I got an error "void function
setf".

On my system I have been using setf for some while now combined with
compiling my source files in a new emacs session without initialization
file in order to get error messages about missing imports, functions yet to
be implemented etc. Hence I'm pretty sure that on my system setf is defined
without explicitly requiring 'gv since some versions.

Am I just wrong and setf was introduced as a default autoload after 24.1?

kind regards, Klaus