Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 21:16:21 -0400

Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com> writes:

> I love Emacs's customizability! I regularly edit my .emacs file, and the
> community has been helpful and encouraging. But I do notice that Emacs can
> take several (10) seconds or longer to load.
>
> For reference, I'm using Emacs 24.1 for Mac OS X, Windows, and Android. I
> keep my .emacs synced, shared, and backed up on GitHub.
> https://github.com/mcandre/dotfiles/blob/master/.emacs
>
> Could someone help me cut down the load time while maintaining the same
> behavior?

The "best" solution to the start up time issue is simple.

NEVER shut down emacs.

There's seldom a good reason to, especially if you are a programmer,
do your compile/edit/test cycle completely within emacs.

Other than that, emacs can run as a daemon process and you can use
emacsclient to connect to it very quickly.

--
Dan Espen