binding "<escape> <kp-delete>"

From: Maverick Woo
Subject: binding "<escape> <kp-delete>"
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 16:57:23 -0700 (PDT)

This is Emacs 24.3 on OSX GUI.

The default installation maps kp-delete to 4 (C-d) in local-function-key-map.
This works as intended. But if I press "<escape> <kp-delete>", it gets
translated into "C-M-d", which is down-list for me. Instead, I want it to do a
forward kill word.

The problem comes when I try to bind "<escape> <kp-delete>". The farthest I got
is as follows, but it has a significant drawback:

1. erase it in local-function-key-map first:
(define-key local-function-key-map (kbd "<kp-delete>") nil)

2. to get back the no-modifier behavior, this works:
(global-set-key (kbd "<kp-delete>") 'delete-char)

3. suppose delete-word is the function I want to bind to:
(global-set-key (kbd "<escape> <kp-delete>") 'delete-word)

The problem with this method is I break the "<escape> ==> meta" translation. In
particular, after step 3, the other keys like "<escape> x" will not get
translated into M-x any more. So I think step 3 should not be done.

Any hint on how to bind "<escape><kp-delete>" properly?

Thanks.