Re: Help mode keybindings

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Help mode keybindings
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 01:36:45 +0200

> (I got this by mail, and can't find it on the list. Anyway, I suppose
> it was intended for the list as well.)

Thanks for the hint - my mistake.

> > Probably there is no trivial way to achieve what you want.  You could
> > use a minor mode yourself - or find a key that is not already used at
> > multiple places.
>
> Hm, to write a minor mode to shadow the view-mode sounds like
> overkill.

It would have the advantage that you would not have to treat any mode
that binds C-j individually.

But it would have the disadvantage that you would have to ensure that
your new minor mode has a higher priority than any other minor mode it
should "shadow".

> Wouldn't it be simpler to change the view minor mode? Or is
> there something making that more difficult than I thought, as well?

No, it's easy - just do

(define-key view-mode-map [?\C-j] nil)

> > Or make a binding in `key-translation-map'.
>
> How would I do that?

Better don't - it's possible, but only the last solution one should
think about.  Let's try to do without.

Michael.