Re: XEmacs

From: Glyn Millington
Subject: Re: XEmacs
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 23:06:37 +0100

Hils <hils@saynotospam.net> writes:

> On 12/05/13 22:29, Emanuel Berg wrote:
>> Hils<hils@saynotospam.net> writes:
>>
>>> One of the last things I did with Emacs on my last windoze box was
>>> configure gnus, but I didn't have the time, patience, or brainflops
>>> to set it up as well as I can with a few clicks in Iceweasel, so
>>> Iceweasel it still is for news and mail.
>> I've spent some time configuring Gnus. Mostly it is about looks. You
>> can see a screenshot how far I've come here:
>> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/usenet.png
>> Now, that dump is from a tabbed urxvt, so it doesn't look exactly
>> like that in the console (for example, there is no underline), but I
>> had to make a short guest appearance in X as to be able to use scrot
>> to take a screenshot. They look more or less the same, anyway.
>> What I've used so far, Gnus is great!
>
> That looks really cool. One of the things which bothered me about Gnus
> was its determination to delete and ignore every article which had
> been read. Is there a way to make it keep local copies of everything
> for n days,

With Gnus there is always a way :-)

Note first that Gnus hides read articles by default but they are still
there until they are _expired_.

See here

http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_187.html#SEC187   and especially the
sentences

,----
| If you do not mark an article as expirable, it will remain on your system
| until hell freezes over. This bears repeating one more time, with some
| spurious capitalizations: IF you do NOT mark articles as EXPIRABLE, Gnus
| will NEVER delete those ARTICLES.
`----

So they can be read again simply by entering the group with

C-u SPC.

Now - how to automate expiry? That man page gives you all the gory
details but as an example I have the following in my .gnus

;; marks mail as expirable once read - VITAL NB this is TOTAL expiry
(setq gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups

"ANDREW\\|CENTRAL\\|CHRISTOPHER\\|CLAIRE\\|MCASLAN\\|DIARY\\|LICC\\|OTHER\\|
.... the real list is much longer but you get the idea")

And you can even specify how long mail hangs around in a particular
group, as below.

;; PER GROUP MAIL EXPIRY - neat!
;; NB the #' before lambda group is essential - not there in manual!!
(setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
      #'(lambda (group)
       (cond  ((string= group "CHRISTOPHER") 10)
             ((string= group "SYNOD") 10)
             ((string= group "FREEBSD") 3)
             ((string= group "CENTRAL") 10)
              ((string= group "OTHER") 1)