Re: XEmacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: XEmacs
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 23:04:22 +0200

Hils <hils@saynotospam.net> writes:

> That looks really cool. One of the things which bothered me about
> Gnus was its determination to delete and ignore every article which
> had been read. Is there a way to make it keep local copies of
> everything for n days, and keep (or archive) specified articles?

In the beginning of my Gnus days, I thought it was strange too, but I
got used to it, and actually found it to be for the good, because it
got me more focused: either I decide to read something, and then I do
it, or I don't.

How to archive for a fixed time, while not a bad idea, I don't know,
but as for saving articles, there are tons of ways, perhaps too
many. Check out:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Saving-Articles
.html#Saving-Articles

The great thing with Gnus as I see it is 1) you configure it, and
write Lisp stuff, in the way you are so used to from Emacs (it's a
head start), 2) the finger habits (muscle memory) of editing, killing,
yanking, etc., are (obviously) those known from Emacs, and 3) the
integration with everything else: for example, if I'm asking a
question on programming in some newsgroup, I can just switch buffer to
the source code, `kill-ring-save' some function that won't work, yank
it into the post, and send it.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573