Re: Excessive questions about "file changed on disk" in tramp ftp

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Excessive questions about "file changed on disk" in tramp ftp
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 12:28:36 -0400

XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:

> Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm using TRAMP to edit files on a ftp server.  On saving the
>>> file Emacs usually asks me "file changed on disk.  really save?"
>>> But I'm the only one editing that file, of which I can be sure.
>>> By "usually" I mean almost every time.
>>>
>>> Something must be wrong here.  Where shall I start with
>>> debugging?
>>
>> Check the time on both systems.
>>
>> They both should be running NTP and have the exact same time.
>
> I'm unable to verify the time on the remote machine.  I have only
> FTP access to that.  However, time reported in dired is correct,
> always earlier than current time.

How is "earlier than the current time" correct?

Sounds like someone's time isn't right.

> Or, can I simply turn off this checking for remote files?  Or for
> this server?

Don't know, just know that I've seen the issue and the problem
occurred because NTP had died and was not restarted.

At the same time "make" was pretty confused about what needed to be
built and what didn't.

Make sure your local system has the correct time, then contact the
admin on the FTP server and get him to correct his time.

--
Dan Espen