Re: most up-to-date emacs packages for debian testing?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: most up-to-date emacs packages for debian testing?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:47:32 -0600

Tom Roche wrote:
> >> $ cat /etc/debian_version
> >> > wheezy/sid

You are behind.  Please upgrade.  Wheezy is preparing to release.
Your file should say 7.0 now.

  $ cat /etc/debian_version
  7.0

> >> $ emacs-snapshot --version
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-04/msg00367.html
> > that that is an old development snapshot, not a release. You are
> > likely better off with Emacs 24.2 or 24.3
>
> I prefer to install via APT (vs, e.g., tarballs). I have been using
> emacs-snapshot packages from http://emacs.naquadah.org/ :

Emacs 24 was too late for Wheezy.  Testing is very, very, very close
to release as Wheezy according to recent announcements.  After that
Testing will be unfrozen, named Jessie, and Emacs 24 from Unstable
will migrate to it.  If you are patient and wait a couple of weeks
then you should have the latest Emacs 24.3 in Testing.

> my sources.list
> > deb http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/
> > deb-src http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/
>
> since they're more up-to-date than the main debian packages.

Emacs 24.3.1 is available in Unstable Sid.  I am typing this message
using it.  I was using Emacs 24.2 from Sid before.  Everything
leapfrogs.  There are no absolutes.

> I'm wondering, can I get an even more up-to-date emacs via debian
> packages without "going all the way" to sid/unstable?

I expect that emacs 24 will be available in Backports at some point.
Requesting it would probably help that to happen sooner.

In the end it always comes down to the fact that someone must provide
those packages.  Perhaps you could ask the emacs.naquadah.org
maintainers to provide an updated package?

Bob

P.S. I have no bugs affecting me in Emacs 23.  But I have one nasty
bug in Emacs 24.3.  So for me 23 is better than 24.  The bug in 24.3
is driving me crazy and I am working through the fix or workaround for
it right now.