Re: Can't insert curly brace for string interpolation in ruby-mode

From: Andrew Pennebaker
Subject: Re: Can't insert curly brace for string interpolation in ruby-mode
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 20:43:13 -0400

Good idea!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to emacs -Q in Mac due to my poor setup. I can't even pass the option!

Could someone suggest a better way to do this?

$ which emacs
/usr/bin/emacs

$ cat `which emacs`
#!/bin/sh
open -a /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs "$@"

My goal is to be able to launch "emacs <dir/file>" from Terminal.app, such that Emacs doesn't steal control over the terminal while it runs. Ordinarly, one would use "emacs <dir/file> &", but I like to close the terminal, and I don't want Emacs to die with it. So I use "open -a..."

The problem with this arrangement is that this doesn't allow command line options to be sent to Emacs. "open" provides --args, but I haven't been able to use it properly.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> Ruby uses the syntax "... #{_expression_}..." for string interpolation. But
> when I press left curly brace, Emacs says "Symbol's value as variable is
> void: last-command-char".

This works fine for me in emacs 24.2.1.  And with 23.4.1 too.  What
version are you using?

> I C-h k {, and saw that { and } are bound to ruby-electric-brace.

Same here.

> This function appears to be malfunctioning.

You didn't say so the obligatory response is, "Have you tried it with -Q?"

  emacs -Q

Works for me.

Bob

--