Re: *shell* jumps up and down

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: *shell* jumps up and down
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 18:04:48 +0000

Bob,

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> I browsed through shell.el but couldn't see where it was doing this.
> Does anyone know how to tell or modify the inferior shell process
> window to not display the buffer at the very bottom and just let emacs
> do what it would normally do?

Looks like it's a comint-wide problem, not just shell.el.

I did some testing, and it seems--in Emacs 24.2, anyway--that this
behavior is triggered by the combination of a `scroll-conservatively'
value of <100 and `comint-scroll-show-maximum-output' set to t (which is
the default).  Changing either of these lets Emacs scrolling behavior do
the same thing it does in the rest of Emacs.

This works in 24, anyway, but the scrolling stuff does seem to be in a
state of flux; I've noticed that erc-scrolltobottom-mode does some
jumping around now in 24, for example.  Possibly one of the NEWS items
under "Scrolling changes" covers this, but if so, I don't understand.

Best,
Will

--
BOFH excuse #292:

We ran out of dial tone and we're and waiting for the phone company to
deliver another bottle.