Re: gvfs-open in eshell/shell-command

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: gvfs-open in eshell/shell-command
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:48:12 +0100

phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:

> I'm attempting to get gvfs-open to work in eshell. This is a little
> gnome utility that opens a file in what ever application it's supposed
> to be launched in. I use it frequently as I normally navigate
> directories at the terminal, then use this to DWIM with a file.
>
> In *shell* this works fine. You just run the command, everybody is
> happy. In *eshell* not a thing. Nothing pops up, nothing appears to
> happen.

Try in both *shell* and *eshell* the command with debug output:

G_DBUS_DEBUG=all gvfs-open ~/.emacs

When you compare the output, it starts to differ significantly when it
comes to file descriptors. I have no clue, why. Maybe you can find
something more.

> So far my best attempt is:
>
> (defun eshell/open (&rest args)
>   (shell-command (format "gvfs-open %s;sleep 3d &"
>                          (mapconcat 'identity args " "))))
>
> Not good.

When I wrap the gvfs-open call into a shell in eshell, I get

~ $ *sh -c gvfs-open ~/.emacs
gvfs-open: missing locations
Try "gvfs-open --help" for more information.

I don't know gvfs-open by heart, and I also don't know whether this is
related to the problem.

> Stuck, no ideas left, help gratefully recieved.
>
> Phil

Best regards, Michael.