Re: Emacs becomes CPU-hungry after some runnig period.

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Emacs becomes CPU-hungry after some runnig period.
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:52:12 +0100

kostafey <kostafey@gmail.com> writes:

> After some running period (about 10-30 minutes) emacs needs
> more and more CPU for simplest operations, like self-insert-command,
> wich runs about a seciond.
> Restarting solves this problem for some minutes.

Dunno why you see that problem.  When I faced such a slowness, most of
the time, there were too many markers or overlays existent in a buffer.

Does the phenomenon you describe appear in all buffers, or are only some
buffers affected?

Anyway, a good way to locate the cause of such problems is using
profiler.el, the Emacs's native profiler.

When the slowness begins, type M-x profiler-start and choose "cpu".
Perform some stuff affected, like self-insert-command or scrolling.
Then type M-x profiler-report.  You'll be presented a tree of functions
that were called, together with their cpu usage.  In your case, I guess
that redisplay_internal will have used most of the cpu time.  You can
expand parts of the tree if you put the cursor on the "+" and hit RET to
find out what stuff caused the slowness.

Michael.