Re: Warning to those using rgrep on Mac OS X

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Warning to those using rgrep on Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:27:17 +0100

Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz> writes:

> Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:
>> There is no simple way to get setting grep-find-use-xargs to 'gnu to
>> work because out of the box, emacs adds in -e to xargs (which is
>> non-standard and the Mac doesn't have it).
>
> According to the GNU grep manual, "`-e' is specified by POSIX," so grep
> on any POSIX system — which, as far as I know, Macintosh is — should
> have it.  So why the heck does Macintosh's grep (would we call it
> "Darwin grep?") command not have it?

Emacs for rgrep use, in addition of grep, two more commands that are find
and xargs, which is not useful because grep itself is able to recurse
without the need of these commands.
It is not a problem on GNU/Linux system based, but seems to add
portability problems on other systems.

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: