Re: [SOLVED] Re: emacs-23.1.90 in terminal does not respond to keyboard

From: Richard Lemieux
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: emacs-23.1.90 in terminal does not respond to keyboard input, but works fine as a standalone X11 app.
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 04:57:44 -0500

Hi William,

On 12/05/2012 01:10 AM, William Gardella wrote:
Hi Richard,

Richard Lemieux <jerlemieux@gmail.com> writes:

The problem was that Emacs (or some X11 library routine) needed some
font that it could not find.  At that point Emacs had access to the
fonts provided by the basic X11 install  plus the fonts coming with
Linux.  After I moved all the fonts from my older Linux partition to
the newer one, the problem was gone.  Unfortunately I can't tell which
font was missing since I have accumulated too many fonts over the
years.

So even when running Emacs in a 'linux' virtual console, one needs to
have some particular font installed (setting of LANG had no effect if
I recall correctly).

Although I know the problem was related to some font, I still can't
tell why this specific choice of font is critical to the operation of
Emacs on a dumb 'linux' console.
I'd be curious to know if the problem occurs for Emacs built both with
./configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk and without, if Slackware will give you
that option.

-WGG
First, the issue was not really solved by getting additional fonts in /usr/share/fonts; it just reversed the problem. Before adding the fonts I could use SCIM when emacs ran in its own window in X11, but X11 wouldn't catch my typing in a console or on a terminal. After adding the fonts, Emacs would catch my typing allright in a console (and this is why I sent a SOLVED message to the list), but later I realized that SCIM would no longer work with Emacs when Emacs ran in its own window. In fact I was back to the same situation I was when I used the version of Emacs that came with Slackware14. The version of Emacs I used in this test (this is not the Slackware14 Emacs) is my old Emacs-23.1.90 configured as follows.

../emacs/configure --prefix=/opt/emacs_cvs --with-x-toolkit=athena --with-xft --without-dbus --without-gconf

Now, to answer your question, I re-configured as you suggest,

../emacs/configure --prefix=/opt/emacs_cvs --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-xft --without-dbus --without-gsettings --without-gconf

The result of using toolkit 'gtk' here is that I still don't have SCIM input when Emacs is run in its own window, but in addition, Emacs does not even see what I type when run on a terminal (emacs -nw) or on a console -- whether I am logged as a user or root.

I have double checked the setup of LANG and LC... variables and those are set as en_US.UTF-8 in X11 for a user and en_US for root.

So there is something other than the choice of font at play here ...

Richard