Re: Delete trailing CR?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Delete trailing CR?
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 11:53:13 -0400

In article <mailman.12153.1351870877.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Anonymous <nobody@slug.slugish.net> wrote:

> Hi. In Emacs how do I edit a file without Emacs adding a 0a byte to the end?
> And how do I delete that character if it is already in the file?
> M-x delete-trailing-whitespace leaves this character at the end of the file.
> Thank you.

That's not a CR (CR is 0d), it's an LF, i.e. newline.  The variable you
want to customize is require-final-newline.

But why would you want to remove it? Text files should be a sequence of
lines, and each line should end with a newline. Some programs don't
process the last line correctly if it doesn't end with a newline.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA