Re: visual line mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: visual line mode
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:36:59 +0200

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 23:40:33 +0200
> Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Narrow the width of the window with text in Latin (left-to-right) script so
> that visual-line-mode puts long lines of text onto at least two lines. Now
> position the text cursor on the end of some line, say, at column 40 or 50,
> near an area where lines are broken onto at least two lines. Then start to
> move the text cursor into that area. On lines longer that those 40 or 50
> columns it will stay in the starting column, on lines shorter it will reach
> the end of the line. Broken lines are visited more than once.
>
> I prefer that the cursor stays at the line endings or visits broken lines
> only once.

But that's exactly what visual-line-mode is about: it treats every
_screen_ line as if it were a physical line.  IOW, this cursor motion
is a major, perhaps the main, feature of visual-line-mode.  That's how
other applications behave, and that's why most users like
visual-line-mode.

As for the cursor not jumping to the end of line: Emacs cannot put the
cursor where there's no text.  This is a basic design of the cursor
display in Emacs.  The only exception I know of is picture-mode, and
that only happens there because AFAIR Emacs adds spaces to prolong the
line to the cursor position.