Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus

From: dustin . hemmerling
Subject: Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 21:51:05 -0700

Just try Gnus.  You already have it, and have nothing whatsoever to
lose.  Beyond what others have already said about most likely feeling
swamped by all the functionality, it will certainly seem absolutely
bizzare to use a newsreader for your email as the manual goes through
great pains to warn you.  You most likely will not like it, but a lot of
people do.  No one can say what's right for you, so just see what it's
like.

That being said, I found VM to be a very nice and instantly comfortable
environment indeed for IMAP-centric email.  That was until I discovered
RMAIL is a very pleasant and streamlined environment, and is the
absolute right tool for me, paired with getmail (as opposed to fetchmail
as others have said) automatically retreiving periodically via a
cronjob.  But as you've said your needs are different.

Don't be afraid to explore new environments :)