Convert an existing keyboard macro to elisp code?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Convert an existing keyboard macro to elisp code?
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 17:10:42 +0200

Hi List,

I cite from the http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/KeyboardMacrosTricks
page, where somebody posted exactly the same question that came to my
mind today:

,-------------------------------------------------------------------
| Is there a way to convert an existing keyboard macro to elisp code?
|
| You can do this with M-x insert-kbd-macro but the result is
| probably not to your liking. If I do:
|
|  C-x (
|  C-n
|  foo
|  C-x )
|  M-x name-last-kbd-macro RET newline-and-foo
|  M-x insert-kbd-macro RET newline-and-foo RET
|
| emacs will insert the following into the buffer:
|
|  (fset 'newline-and-foo
|    "\C-nfoo")
|
| I would very much like to be able to insert something like this:
|
|   (defun newline-and-foo ()
|     (interactive)
|     (next-line)
|     (insert "foo"))
|
| But it appears emacs does not have this feature.

Unfortunately, the answer was more a less a 'NO'(or 'YOU HAVE TO WRITE
IT YOURSELF').

Since Emacs is a pretty dynamic project, I thought I give it another try
on the mailing list - maybe this feature request has been implemented in
the meantime by somebody?

--
cheers,
Thorsten