Re: regexp-builder shows matches, re-search-forward fails?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: regexp-builder shows matches, re-search-forward fails?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:29:30 +0200

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Tassilo,

>> I constructed a regexp with regexp-builder for a buffer, the matches
>> are clearly shown, with all the subexpressions in different colors.
>> Then I do reb-copy and paste the regexp as argument for a
>> re-search-forward call.  In the same buffer I used to build the
>> regexp, re-search-forward now fails to match anything.
>>
>> What might be the reason?
>
> What's reb-copy?

it copies the regexp from regexp-builder for use in an elisp function,
thats what I need.

> The problem might be that re-builder wants the regex as string, so you
> have to quote backslashes.  E.g., re-builder wants "\\(foo\\|bar\\)",
> but at the re-search-forward prompt you have to say just \(foo\|bar\)
> and emacs does the quoting for you.

Thats true, when I use \(foo\|bar\) in M-x re-search-forward it matches
again. But in my function, neither \( nor \\( nor \\\\( work. Maybe
something else wrong with with function - have to check again. Thanks.

--
cheers,
Thorsten