Re: An ls that does not understand --dired

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: An ls that does not understand --dired
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:37:47 +0200

Am 25.07.2012 um 00:44 schrieb Stefan Vollmar:

> I am afraid that adding "-dired" to dired-listing-switches did not solve the
> problem, at least not for current versions of Aquamacs 3 (it looks like an
> Emacs 24 Mac-specific problem).

Indeed, elder Emacsen, versions 23.x, do understand a settings like

        (setq dired-listing-switches "-ahlw -dired")

in the site init file and obey it, i.e., they can work with /bin/ls. All the
GNU Emacs 24.x versions fail to obey. In earlier version it was also possible
to set

        (setq insert-directory-program "gls" dired-use-ls-dired t)

This looks like being worth a bug report.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Don't force it; get a larger hammer.