Re: Cocoa emacs renders Unicode combining diacritics improperly

From: Dan Maftei
Subject: Re: Cocoa emacs renders Unicode combining diacritics improperly
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 23:16:08 +0100

Aha, let me clarify something: there are some sounds in the world's languages that cannot be created in any other way except using combining characters. For example, the voiced alveolar lateral affricate (d͡ɮ 0x64 0x361 0x26E). Theoretically, I need to place any of the combining characters in the Unicode Spacing Modifier Letters block (0x2B0 through 0x2FF) onto any other character. Therefore, as a linguist, I quite literally need the combining method to work. :-)

Thanks for the describe-char output. Mine is working as expected. (un-related: can you reproduce this bug? http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2012-07/msg00615.html)

So, I'm only a little better off than I started. Thanks for the Menlo font tip: it does render ñ better. It's still off on, e.g., the afore-mentioned voiced alveolar lateral affricate. I will look through the other fonts.

I guess there's nothing to do but try and integrate Yamamoto's patches into the emacs trunk. This is clearly a bug with the way NS emacs interacts with OS X.

Speaking of the patch, I didn't download 24.1.1 on purpose: the newest official version as obtained from the FTP site (http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/) is listed as 24.1, which is what I used. I'm not sure if a version 24.1.0 even exists... but I haven't dug through the source repository much.

Cheers,
Dan