RE: Using a package installed via ELPA

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Using a package installed via ELPA
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:27:57 -0700

>> I've installed zenburn color theme via ELPA in EMACS23,
>> what now? I've discovered that I can't load it using the
>> usual color theme tool.
> Is ~/.emacs.d/elpa/zenburn-1.8  in custom-theme-load-path ?

Seems really too bad that Emacs Dev installed "custom" theme stuff that kind of
does what color-theme.el does, but not quite.

Every few weeks we now get posts here that confuse the two.  Sometimes the
confusion is in the original question; sometimes it is in a response; sometimes
both.

Presumably things would be less confusing if the names of these somewhat
different critters were not also so similar (custom theme vs color theme).

But IIUC, Emacs in fact had its own "theme" stuff for a long time.  It's just
that recently they decided to extend Emacs custom themes to also do something
similar to what 3rd-party package color-theme.el has always done.

I guess at this point there is no simple way to avoid confusion.  We'll just
have to keep pointing out the difference (e.g. here).  Birth of a Frequently
Unasked Question Unwittingly Premised...