Re: Why do replace commands sometimes not work?

From: MBR
Subject: Re: Why do replace commands sometimes not work?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 23:01:27 -0400

On 5/24/2012 10:41 PM, B. T. Raven wrote:
I can't reproduce that misbehavior on w32 ver 23.1
Both in *scratch* (lisp mode) and a junk file in text mode I get:

John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt
" John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt"
" John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt"
 John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt
 John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt

where the second and third lines were originally camel-case in quotes.
I did assign the macro to a keychord with C-xC-kb

Ed
I'm not surprised that you can't reproduce it.  It's so unpredictable that it reminds me of an assembly language bug I diagnosed many years ago where the code turned out to be making a critical decision based on data it fetched from an uninitialized memory location.  In the case of this bug, the state of memory could depend on every keystroke I've typed since I started Emacs, the contents of every file it's opened, etc.

The example I gave was to illustrate the sort of problem I'm running into, to see if anyone else has encountered the same problem.  I'd be thrilled if I could come up with a reproducible example, but I've had no luck on that front so far.
Mark