Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer

From: Chiron
Subject: Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:35:28 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:36:27 +0200, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> () Chiron <chiron613.no.spam.@no.spam.please.gmail.com> () Sat, 21 Apr
> 2012 03:53:33 GMT
>
>    The current maintainers have absolutely no incentive to try to make
>    emacs appealing to the masses.
>
> Maybe, maybe not.

If they had an incentive to make emacs appealing to the masses, they'd do
it.  Since they aren't doing it, I think it's clear that they don't have
the incentive.

>    If they did that, sure, they'd probably get plenty of new
>    maintainers, but these new guys would change their tool in ways they
>    don't want.  They're OK with the way it is right now. What's in it
>    for them to change it?
>
> Well, a superior change accomodates both old and new.  Not every
> programmer realizes such change, but there's no point losing hope.
> Whether or not that programmer is a maintainer is beside the point.

Perhaps.  I was simply speaking of the motivation of the current
maintainers to make changes to emacs.  Unless the current maintainers are
confused, they *already* have emacs pretty much the way they want it.

What the complainer was suggesting was that new people - maintainers,
programmers, whoever - would *change* emacs, which would make emacs less
the way the current maintainers want it, and more the way others would
want it.

I guess what I'm seeing, is Group A is unhappy with emacs and would like
to see some changes made to it that might be beneficial.  They complain
that the people who maintain emacs - Group B - don't want to make the
changes.  But Group B is happy with things the way they are - so why
should they go to the trouble to make the changes that Group A wants?

A.  We think you should change emacs to be the way we want it.

B.  Well, we like it the way it is.

A.  No, you're too old-fashioned or hidebound; you need to get with the
program.  You need to make emacs a tool for modern programming practices.

B.  Why?  It works for us.

A.  But it doesn't work for us!

B.  Um...

--
... bleakness ... desolation ... plastic forks ...