Re: makeinfo: missing file argument

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: makeinfo: missing file argument
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 11:23:36 +0200

Am 5.4.2012 um 02:18 schrieb Kuroishi Mitsuo:

> (cd doc/emacs; make  info)
> /usr/bin/makeinfo --force --enable-encoding -I
> /home/kuroishi/download/emacs/doc/emacs -o
> /home/kuroishi/download/emacs/doc/emacs/../../info/emacs
> makeinfo: missing file argument.

Here is the bug! I have, slightly edited:

        (cd doc/emacs; make -k info)
        /opt/local/bin/makeinfo --force --enable-encoding -I
.../emacs-24.0.95/doc/emacs -o .../emacs-24.0.95/doc/emacs/../../info/emacs
.../emacs-24.0.95/doc/emacs/emacs.texi
        (cd doc/misc; make -k info)

The argument "<path to>/doc/emacs/emacs.texi" is missing. A possible reason
might be that your terminal is limiting the line. Do you have already some
variant of GNU Emacs installed? Then you could try this:

launch it, in some terminal or as X client. Then either cd in *shell* buffer to
/home/kuroishi/download/emacs or open this directory in dired mode. If you want
you can M-x compile RET and remove the whole text in minibuffer and substitute
it with any of your configure commands, say

        configure --without-x --prefix=/home/kuroishi/local

Press RETURN. Nice output, isn't it? When configure has finished you can type
again M-x compile RET and change the text in minibuffer to:

        make bootstrap

Press RETURN. If the failure happens again, then try this:

        M-x compile RET <a bit of editing in minibuffer> make distclean RET

This should remove all files that do not belong to the distribution. Now
perform the configure step again and start 'make bootstrap'. If this fails
again, then it's likely that there is some failure in the build system. It
could be in configure and some other GNU Emacs related files, or it is in your
FreeBSD system. Although I am not using FreeBSD but Mac OS X, which is a bit
related to FreeBSD or NetBSD, you can send me your config.log file (pay
attention here: it could be very small, 1...2 KB, then I would need the
config.log~ file with more than 1 MB size) /privately/ and I can try to examine
it and find a possible cause.

Do you have the file ~/download/emacs/doc/emacs/emacs.texi?

--
Greetings

  Pete

"By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family. Prepare
to die!"
                                - Answer from Klingon software developer