Re: Switching between foo.c and foo.h

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: Switching between foo.c and foo.h
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:22:04 -0000

On Sun, 2011-08-28, despen@verizon.net wrote:
> Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp@snipabacken.se> writes:
>
>> This is a bit embarrassing.
>>
>> Two years or so ago I asked for a function to switch to the "other"
>> buffer for pairs such as a C header file and the C source file with a
>> matching name, potentially find:ing the file first.  Then I forgot
>> about it.
>>
>> Then, while browsing some obscure corner of the Emacs 22 manual, I
>> found that such a function already existed. As I recall it, it had a
>> non-obvious name. It was bound by default (at least in C mode) to some
>> three-stroke keyboard command.
>>
>> And now when I want to start using it, and I can no longer find it.
>>
>> Does anyone know offhand which command I'm talking about?  It doesn't
>> seem to be part of CC mode, and it's not listed in the "Misc Buffer"
>> node, which I remember reading when I stumbled upon it. Nor can I find
>> it using C-x C-h. Perhaps I was dreaming?
>
> Search terms:
>
> emacs find header file
>
> Reasonable result:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3tgz23s
>
> (ff-find-other-file)

Thanks! That's the one (documented under the alias
ff-find-related-file). I'll try to use it from now on.

(In case you wonder, I really *did* spend a good half hour searching
the Emacs manual for it. Not that it's easy to cover everything in
the most logical place, assuming there is one ...)

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .     .
\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .